Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Craigslist fabulous fabric find

I am a member of quiltingboard.com, a general information board made up of quilters from all areas who post photos of their most recent quilts, sell their excess fabrics and tell about their ebay, craigslist and garage sale finds.  I've bought fat quarters recently on ebay and right now it's too cold for yard sales, (I've never found anything good at yard sales anyway), so I've been checking craigslist.  Last Thursday, I found the perfect ad:  10-15 tubs of quilting fabric sorted by color $200 - the lady was selling because she was having knee surgery and needed the cash.  I called immediately (after checking with Megan) and set up an appointment to look at it.  Best part was she was just across town, not in some small town 30 miles away.  Mike was great about taking me over there, we would need his car, just in case.  We even had to stop at O'Reilly Auto parts first to replace his burned out headlight.  We met the lady and after opening the first tub, I said to Mike, "back up the car and load this in there" - the fabric was AWESOME!!!  All very good quality quilting cotton.  Well, there were not 10-15 tubs, there were 20 tubs, and some were huge.  We could hardly fit it into his car with all the seats down.  On top of this, she had 5 complete quilt kits which she sold to me for $50 extra.

the tubs unloaded in our garage

look how neatly arrange all the fabric is - every tub looked like this - some had THREE layers.

Now I'm totally overwhelmed as I'm opening tub after tub after tub.  What are we going to do with all this?  Fortunately, Megan was on her way down for the weekend to help me out.  This is what Megan thinks of all this fabric.


Woah!!  I"m getting buried in here!!

Now for the down side of owning this much fabric - once we started unrolling the bundles, the cigarette smoke smell came out - yuck!!  not too bad, but not good.  We started running loads through the dryer with fabric softener sheets - works pretty well, but that means we have to unroll it ALL!!

We made some progress over the weekend but we have a long way to go.

There are some awesome prints and lots and lots of everything in here.  Time will tell what becomes of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment